Key Environmental Applications of Nucleic Acid Purification
- Nucleic acids purified from soil and water samples can give conservationists a method of analyzing the microbiome of the surrounding environment.
- DNA extracted from water samples allows researchers to identify the presence of microorganisms which have implications on pollution levels.
- DNA extracted from stool found in the environment allows conservationists to monitor the presence and population level of specific species of animals.
- Wastewater Monitoring
Implications of Environmental Nucleic Acid Purification
- Isolating DNA and RNA from environmental samples can be particularly difficult, similar to difficulties presented by plant samples.
- Inhibitors found in the samples are difficult to remove and can dampen the DNA or RNA’s potential for use in downstream applications.
- Products like the Mag-Bind Environmental DNA 96, E.Z.N.A. Soil DNA, and E.Z.N.A. Water DNA Kits are able to extract high-quality DNA from environmental samples, eliminating any inhibitors.
Omega Bio-tek Products for Environmental Applications
Monteiro, D. A., do Rêgo Barros, P. S., Neto, M. D. S. R., da Cruz, H. L. A., Santos, L. R. C., de Arruda Santana, A. C., … & da Costa Rachid, C. T. C. (2022). Use of magnetic beads in Next-Generation Sequencing in the construction of low cost 16S rRNA gene genomic libraries. Pesquisa Agropecuária Pernambucana, 27(2).